Tunxis Community College is partnering with the Southington Chamber of Commerce in establishing a Job Shadowing/Mentorship Program specifically designed for college students in collaboration with area businesses. This is not an internship program but an open opportunity for career exploration. The program is not limited to students from Southington and is open to any student interested in a particular career, and in good academic standing. The schedule for placements is outlined below.
The program not only benefits students who may wish to explore different fields of work in a one-on-one setting to determine career options, but benefits the potential employers who can mentor a potential future employee or entrepreneur.
- Students must be referred by an instructor, an application completed( see Guide), and returned to the instructor who will submit the application to the Career Services Dept. for consideration by the deadlines indicated below;
- Faculty will receive a guide outlining criteria, information and forms;
- Students must commit to between 5-8 hrs for the mentorship on site at an area business or non-profit; the schedule and amount of time will be determined jointly by the business mentor and the student;
- Students must have their own transportation ;
- Students must be old enough to sign a liability waiver for participation in the program;
- Students must attend a 1 hour workplace orientation on campus(schedule TBA) prior to placement;
- Students are required to provide a reflection piece at the conclusion of the experience and submitted to the Career Services Dept.
- Business/Organization Mentors will provide the college with an evaluation at the conclusion of the experience;
- October 15th for placement in the fall semester- September – December;
- March 15th for placement in the spring semester- January- May
- May 1st for placement in the summer session- June-August
Questions can be directed to Kim James, Dir. Career Services at email@example.com. ( ext 3546)